Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And the blog is worth even less....

Lets begin with the name, shall we? I acquired my BA with a concentration in philosophy and writing from Hampshire College, and, so far at least, it hasn't made me rich or famous. That said, I wouldn't trade the time I spent at college for the world. One of Hampshire's many idealistic claims is that it teaches its students how to teach themselves, and there's actually quite a bit of truth to this. Hampshire helped me develop the ability to think, and - more importantly - it's where I met my wife. So take the title with a grain of salt.

But enough with cheap sentimentality: cynicism is the lifeblood of the internet, and far be it from me to fight the free market. Hence the name: Worthless Degree.

As for myself, I'm an unrepentant geek living and - for the time being - working in the city of New York. But in this deteriorating job market, the freelance philosopher's options are tragically limited. Therefore, I find myself doing general office work. No complaints; I'll take what I can get, but it's hardly an environment where I find myself engaging the issues that really interest me.

No, I haven't really had many outlets to voice my opinions, and, frankly, my wife's sick of hearing them. Therefore I've decided to offer them to the world at large. Those of you crazy enough to read them have my apologies in advance, of course.

In addition to Worthless Degree, I keep a blog called The Middle Room, which focuses on movies, comics, and other geek-related topics. Those of you who never put aside childish things might also enjoy The Clearance Bin, a toy review site I run.

I've also written two novels and a large number of short stories I'm trying to get published. Eventually, I'm planning to start a site dedicated to my fiction: I'll keep you informed, of course.

No comments: